Chicken Pie
Cooking Time: 75 Minutes
Serves: 4
Home Recipes Books Search
1. Roughly chop the chicken into bite size pieces. Peel, slice and cook the carrot.

2. Preheat the oven to 220°C (gas mk 7, 425°F). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Chop the onion finely, and cook gently in the butter for about 10 minutes until softened.

3. Add the flour and stir well. Add half the milk, stirring well, then add the remaining milk and stir well. Add the stock and stir until the sauce is smooth and simmering. It should have a fairly thick consistency.

4. Remove the saucepan from the heat, stir in the cooked carrots, and allow to cool. Stir in the chicken, along with salt and black pepper to taste (you should not need much salt as the stock will normally contain salt).

5. Divide the pastry into two pieces, one about 65% of the total, the other about 35%. Roll out the larger piece until large enough to line the bottom and sides of a non-stick pie tin (the pie tin should be about 20cm diameter and 3cm deep). Line the tin, and spoon in the chicken mixture. Roll out the remaining pastry to form the lid. Wet the edges of the pastry lining the tin, and then place the lid on top and pinch the edges together. Trim away any excess pastry with kitchen scissors.

6. Cut a slit about 3cm long in the centre of the lid, and then brush the lid with a little milk.

7. Bake at 220°C (gas mk 7, 425°F) for about 20 minutes, and then lower the heat to 190°C (gas mk 5, 375°F). If the pie is already well browned, cover the top loosely with a piece of tin foil. Bake at 190°C (gas mk 5, 375°F) for a further 30 minutes, checking to ensure the pastry is not getting too brown (if it does then cover the top loosely with a piece of tin foil). Serve hot.

See Also: Recipes
  Shepherds Pie
  Sausage Rolls
See Also: Book Reviews
  New Step by Step Cookbook by Good Housekeeping

Recipe Ingredients
300g Cooked Chicken Breast
(or other cooked chicken)
1 medium Onion
250g Puff Pastry
1 Carrot
125ml Chicken Stock
90ml Milk
50g Butter
2 tablespoons Flour (plain)
Black Pepper

Chicken Pie

Comments? Questions?...then contact us here.
Home Home Home Discussion Forum Conversion Tables Search

Letscook is supported by - click here for the best price on cookery and other UK DVDs.